Ximena Cuenca ©2019

Auto loan

Working for a bank can be challenging and as an UX Designer, I faced two objectives: to improve the current lead gen experience and to bring more quality leads.

See the project here

The problem

The online channel needed to gain more relevance to increase sales. Although there was a lead generator online which it cost per lead was cheap, the lead strategy was unclear and most of the calls that were attended through the Contact Center were about people asking for general information, but not necessarily potential customers.

The very first lead generator

A second chance

Mapping the process AS-IS and TO-BE

With the support of a Service Designer, we got great insights about the customer decision making and how the auto loan simulator would help in that process. Other great insight was about how the customers feel doing an online application rather than filling a form to leave contact information.  And by last, but not less important, the lead strategy should be able to identify the leads that had an immediate need and the leads that should follow a different strategy.

Customer journey AS-IS

User flow with lead strategy

User interface analysis

After analyzing Hotjar recordings and heat maps with the UX Research team, we had obvious conclusions: 1) the user needed more information about the loan, 2) they needed a mobile friendly experience with urgency, and 3) the interface should be aligned to the new bank design system. I knew that the layout of the bank website is old and not responsive for all screens sizes, but that speedometers components to calculate the total loan, definitely were not working.

Let's iterate

The first decision that I made was to split the simulator from the Landing Page. We had two types of users: those who googled an auto loan calculator, and those who search more general information. Also, the new design was optimized for mobile.

Landing page

Simulator

Lead gen

Results

As I expected, the CTA rate conversion increased and the general information phone calls to the Contact Center decreased, but still we had other interaction problems. In the calculator, although the sliders component worked great for mobile, users in desktop had troubles, specially with the value ranges they wanted to set up. Other problem was that users weren't leaving their contact information and this was a primary objective.

Second iteration

Although the CTA in the landing page had a better performance, it had to change into a primary button. I observed also, that the Hero Banner video was having loading problems in some browsers and further, were not being a reinforcement communication element. The lead CTA might had a better performance below the calculated loan value and finally, the sliders had to change for simple textfields. Not all our customers are pro-users.

Learnings

1. Don't be afraid to take the ownership of the project. When I took this project, I was afraid to change the work of the previous designer despite the findings in the UI Analysis, but when it comes about improve an interface there is not place for sentimentalism if the business goals and the users tasks are not being accomplished.

 

2. Talk to your stakeholders. Or in this case, with other owners of the project.  I did have hard conversations about how the sales weren't increasing, but the stakeholders were forgetting that is not just about to create a digital experience, but a great End to End process. Along the way we had discovered that a lot of offline process are broken.

‚Äč

3. Live products never ends. Right now, this project had an online application that didn't work and an initiative of mine to start the experience from the user's channels such as You tube cars videos. Both of these are in the backlog, but I don't give up. I know that the digital channel is powerful and changing, so I need to observe closely and frequently all the behavior patterns or interaction mistakes that I can improve.